Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Too Weak Challenge!

March 15

It’s a challenge isn’t it? It dawned on blogger Andrew first but I’m running with it. His approach to the challenge at the beginning was logical: take a week’s food budget of $52.50 and buy your week’s groceries with that. I’m taking it a step further.

I’ve taken TWO weeks’ worth of food budget – $105 – and spent it on food. Check it out, yo:



With only $50 it’s hard to get many of the things that will diversify your diet and also last you long enough. A bag of rice and/or potatoes and a few packs of different types of meat will throw you over $50 in no time. You have more leeway if you think long-term. Off the initial OSAP deposit, I think the ideal move would be to use 3-4 weeks’ worth of grocery money at once to stock up. Buying a big bag of rice, frozen veggies, a jar of PB and some sale meats (put straight into the freezer) are musts and are pretty much non-perishable, and last forever. The stock-up is initially painful, but as the supplies run out at different rates, replacing them at need and one at a time becomes much more manageable financially.



I’m trying to make do here with two weeks’ cash. My grocery total came out to $100.83, which leaves less than $5 to wiggle with for two weeks, unfortunately. I’m going to have to plan my menu carefully to maximize use of my perishables. On my shop I also bought stuff that I already had in my pantry to make the test seem realistic. I’m curious if anyone thinks that’s excessive, i.e. that I should have just continued calculating the cost of the stuff I had or if buying the stuff makes the experiment more legitimate and rigorous.

Here’s what I predict. Deliciousness. Also, by the end of two weeks, there’ll be enough left over that if I were to work on a third week, filling out that week’s grocery needs on a week’s budget would be much easier.

Come along. It'll be interesting.

2 comments:

  1. not just a picture but a video!! on youtube!! look at you fancypants!

    i think your decision made it more realistic.. not too much more rigorous.. although you forgot ketchup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I know what you were working on at our kitchen table last Saturday!

    I think Lucky may be wondering what SHE is going to eat during these two weeks! Maybe that was what she was telling you at the end of the video.

    Best wishes with this challenge. When you are home for Easter I'll make sure you get plenty to eat! LOL

    ReplyDelete