Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Introduction to the Idea

The Ontario Undergraduate Student Alliance (OUSA) has begun the Food for Thought campaign. Food for Thought aims to test the adequacy of the allotment of $7.50 per day for food in the OSAP formula because OUSA says that according to "students", it's not enough. The campaign includes four student bloggers (I shall call them 'blogdents') who will blog on their attempts to eat healthily on that budget for 18 days. Welcome to my similar blog. I'm generally willing to yawn and stretch out with a bag of corn chips on the couch of apathy, but in the newspaper article I read, the reporter lamented how a student must forego $4.50 London Fogs at Starbucks. And on $7.50, how could one possibly afford a sub when going from class to work? According to the reporter, "the only sandwich (she) can afford is home-made". As a regular sandwich eater and fan, I took offense. The idea that one might only eat a homemade sandwich as a last resort, that it's poverty food instead of a healthy and economic option, got my goat. Today I was thinking about the $7.50/day diet – while eating my second sandwich since reading that article – when I decided to join the club. (And no, it was not a club sandwich.)

In their blogs, I expect to read laments about eating out and maybe the cost of meat. I also expect them to have revelations – realizing the cost and health benefits of bananas over chocolate bars, the cheapness of potatoes, and perhaps most importantly, the valuable life lesson in how to spend money wisely, which some of the fourth-year blogdents still seem not to have learned.

Watch me eat well through average daily expenditures of less than $7.50 (and the charity of others).

http://www.ousa.ca/2010/03/03/the-campaign/
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/education/article/776378---7-50-a-day-is-all-you-get-on-the-student-osap-diet

No comments:

Post a Comment