Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Student Campaign is Over but...

...I've got oh-so-much gloating yet to do. MY challenge (Click here) lasts through Monday. Stay tuned for an exciting development coming soon!!!

First, forgive the period of silence. It's been a rough week for a guy who relies on his stomach for a food-related challenge. Wednesday morning, feeling the promise of a day with food poisoning well behind me, I woke and ate a breakfast of cereal and fruit. Mid day, chills start settling in, headache and the rest associated with that thing I though I had just beaten. Long story short, I came down with a second bout of food poisoning and have since thrown out the two likeliest of culprits: asparagus and the rest of the bag of milk. I've had a really small appetite the last few days and in general have been eating because it's reasonable to do so, rather than because I wanted to. Now on Saturday, I feel more or less back to normal.

My spreadsheet shows a couple new items on the sheet: another loaf of bread and the bowl of soup I bought on Thursday to soothe my poor stomach. It now shows that I'm 87 cents over my two-week budget but in a couple of days I'll explain why it won't matter. I'm not completely sure what to do about the two meals I missed. I'm not pretending this experiment is scientific or being subjected to statistical analysis but fudging data seems like a mistake, so the likely plan is to take note and just carry on in a regular schedule. Anyway, enough data points and the outliers shouldn't affect the trend (or something like that).

Some Scorn

The student campaign is now over. (I have to reiterate that my own challenge ends on Monday evening and you MUST see what happens then.) I'm waiting to see their synopses and final posts, but at least one of them, Nick, certainly didn't manage to "live on" $7.50. He's posted a couple of video blogs (Blog 1, Blog 2) of an interview with a fellow student. Apparently, you have to choose between being involved and eating healthily because when you're on campus late, you don't have time to go home and make a healthy meal. Maybe it's something about students at Wilfrid Laurier, but Andrew at Western seems to understand that meals are portable. I've had classes that lasted until 8, 9 or even 10 when I was in school and had to travel over an hour in transit to get home. That's how I, and hundreds of other students, made the connection that we live in a world of ice packs and Tupperware, not in one where we chase lions away from antelope carcasses or eat at Pizza Pizza to get sustenance.

No comments:

Post a Comment